Roxboro gas leak forces family out of home


Emergency crews responded to reports of gas leak along Reams Avenue Wednesday evening.

According to the Roxboro Fire Department, a homeowner working in the yard struck a gas line.

Neighbors living nearby, were not home at the time. The homeowner and his family were evacuated, according to Roxboro Fire Lt. Brandy Horton.

Crews monitored the scene until PSNC Energy arrived.

“With it being open into the air and nothing around it to cause a spark, we were just waiting by for the gas company to turn it off,” said Horton.

Firefighters assisted PSNC with securing the gas line and checked the house for possible gas build up.

The home came back within normal limits, according to the report.

Once the gas company and the fire department gave the all clear, the homeowner and his family were able to return home.

The incident occurred the same day a gas leak in downtown Durham sparked an explosion that killed one person and injured 25, including a firefighter.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment