The first case of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, has been confirmed in Person County.
Person County Health officials released that information about 9:15 p.m.
Health Department officials can confirm that the COVID-19 case is due to community spread.
The affected individual is currently in isolation at home and is doing well.
Person County's Health Department say they will release no other information about the person to protect the individual's privacy.
The Person County Health Department is identifying close contacts to the affected individual. A close contact is defined as anyone who was within six feet of the individual for 10 minutes.
The agency's public health team will contact residents that may be at increased risk for COVID-19.
“Person County Health Department and our community partners have been preparing and planning and will continue to take proactive steps to protect the health of our community,” Person County Health Director Janet Clayton said Tuesday night.
The health department continues to encourage residents to take basic precautions to avoid contracting the illness, which is most commonly sprea through respiratory droplets.o Wash hands often with soap and water, and for at least 20 seconds each time.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
• Avoid close contact with people who are ill and stay at home if you are sick.
• Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue, throw the tissue in the trash, and wash your hands.
• Clean and disinfect surfaces that are frequently touched.
• Have a plan in case you need to miss work or other responsibilities due to personal illness or to care for a sick family member.
• People over 65 or who have chronic health conditions or with compromised immune systems are at highest risk of severe illness from the virus, and are advised to avoid large gatherings.