Free classes to assist residents with job seeking and employability skills will now be offered in Uptown Roxboro at Piedmont Community College’s Business Development and Entrepreneurship Center.
The college staff will gradually make the transition and all future Workforce Training Center programs and courses will be held at the 105 North Main Street location in Roxboro.
“This change will allow Piedmont Community College to expand program and course offerings to students while also introducing students to others services offered at the BDEC. This includes Small Business Center services for individuals interested in pursuing their own business or to take occupational courses, such as HVAC,” shares Doris Carver, Vice President, Continuing Education at PCC. “The Uptown Roxboro area is growing and PCC is committed to helping citizens and businesses meet their educational and workforce needs.”
The first program to make the location change will be PCC’s free Employability Skills Lab. This lab is open to the public Monday – Wednesday, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. this summer. When entering this free program, participants will:
• Obtain a North Carolina Career Readiness Certificate;
• File unemployment insurance claims;
• Get introduced to Microsoft Office, Excel, Publisher, and PowerPoint through the Microsoft Digital Literacy certification;
• Create a resume and learn how to track and apply for jobs online;
• Prepare for future interviews and focus on building teamwork skills;
• Gain soft skills and learn how to improve work ethic through Working Smart;
• Learn how to build a resume and search for jobs on NC Works;
• Track online job search efforts, and document user ID’s and passwords for each company website you access.
For additional information, call 336-322-2156 or visit www.piedmontcc.edu/ce and click the “Job Seeking Skills” link.